BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A First Person Account on Agoraphobia


When my therapist told me I had agoraphobia I stared at her in puzzlement. I had never heard the term before, but I did know my symptoms. Agoraphobia is defined as a fear of open spaces. Many of the definitions I have read on the internet state that this phobia is “a fear of leaving the house”. I am not sure which definition would describe my own experiences with this illness, but shades of each could fit the bill.

A number of things I blame on marriage since it started shortly after marriage. I just all of a sudden would develop full blown panic attacks in places outside the home. Panic attacks meaning my chest squeezing, being unable to breathe, and feeling like I would pass out. Just having this feeling when I was outside made me not want to go outside and I would not if I did not have to. Home and work were the only two places where I seemed to feel safe. My husband would insist that I had to leave now and then. I would hop into the car to take a trip upstate and not 10 minutes into the trip we would have to pull over as I would have diarrhea. The anxiety was unstoppable. I remember thinking during those times when my husband would yell at me for never wanting to go out, that I needed therapy. Unfortunately my husband belonged to a church that did not believe in such things. I was expected to pray about it and God would come to my rescue. Well that did not work. I needed some mind fixing.

The divorce came around a couple years later and I sought the therapy that I was sure could help me. I must say it took quite a few sessions for things to finally begin to sink into my brain, but in time things began to look brighter. Even when I found I could easily walk into a grocery store and shop without problems, my therapist had told me the anxiety could come back. Anxiety will probably always be a part of my life now, but I have learned how to handle it. I refuse to let it get the best of me. My therapist has given me the tools to combat. Therefore I shall!

This is just my personal experience with this mental illness. While therapy worked for me, others may have better luck with prescription drugs. And praying cannot hurt in any situation.

Linda Courtney is currently residing in Philadelphia, PA and has a web-based e-book business to help people in all areas of health and fitness. www.fitnessebooksforall.com.

0 comments: